Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Skirts: The Principle of the Thing


In the movie, The Young Victoria, beautiful dress represents
an era of order, virtue, and beauty.
Wearing skirts is a great issue of debate in the conservative Christian woman's world.  Some say they are frumpy and "homeschool mom" looking.  Some say they are anti-feminist and old fashioned.  Some say skirts are just too cumbersome and dressy to wear around the house all day to do chores and change diapers.

If you are one of these people, think again.

Skirts are also elegant and distinctive.  Skirts have a great influence on a woman's soul.  They effect society.

I began to wear skirts exclusively when I was sixteen.  I met a girl who wore skirts beautifully.  It wasn't because she had decided to do so based on principle; it was because she grew up dressing so.  I didn't know this at the time; I just knew I loved her style!  I immediately began to copy it.  I sniffed out all the dresses in my house (of five sisters) and fell in love with them!

Looking back I can see that my friend did not dress based on principle, but out of habit.  It was this fact that attracted me to her style.  There was an easy grace that she had in a skirt, something that I had never been accustomed to.

Women for centuries have worn skirts thus, nonchalantly and elegantly.  Ladies wore skirts simply to say that they were women, created that way by God.

God made men and women different.  We are NOT equal.  Don't read on until you accept that.

Now, clothing is a symbolism to show who we are, like the uniform of a police officer or the costume of a nurse.  Since men and women are different physically and physiologically, their clothing reflects that.

I know some women will say, "Fine.  I agree with that.  I can show I'm different than a man by wearing a certain kind of jeans."  I say no.

"The wearing of men’s dress by women affects firstly the woman herself, by changing the feminine psychology proper to women; secondly, it affects the woman as wife of her husband, by tending to vitiate relationships between the sexes; thirdly, it affects the woman as mother of her children by harming her dignity in her children’s eyes. Each of these points is to be carefully considered in turn."

-Letter to Religious leaders of Genoa condemning men's dress worn by women by Giuseppe Cardinal Siri, 1960  (Read full letter here: http://www.tldm.org/news6/modesty4.htm)

Mothers and skirts protect and nourish the family.

This is not an outdated and passing statement.  It is the truth.  There must be a distinctive difference in men's and women's fashions in order to emphasize (and protect) the tremendous differences between men and women and their respective roles.  Even though the Revolution in fashion has been dramatic; skirts are still considered feminine!

Yes, skirts are for the Catholic Lady.  To protect Christian civilization: femininity, women, and skirts should not change.

“Society speaks through the clothing it wears…It is often said almost with passive resignation that fashions reflect the customs of a people. But it would be more exact and much more useful to say that they express the decision and moral direction that a nation intends to take: either to be shipwrecked in licentiousness or maintain itself at the level to which it has been raised by religion and civilization. 
(-Di gran cuore - an allocution of Pope Pius XII to a Congress of the "Latin Union of High Fashion” on November 8, 1957)

And so, women who want to show who they are wear skirts.  It is because of principle.  It is to distinguish the beauty of femininity.  It is to defend the proper ideal that women are good.  Women protect virtue.

(If you are interested in what influenced the Revolution of Fashion, read my article here: http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-revolution-of-fashion.html)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said here. I haven't worn pants in a very long time, but I remember them being more uncomfortable than skirts anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love the thoughts. I am not a only-skirts-wearer yet, but I try to do my best. Still I cannot imagine wearing skirt while jogging...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...