Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Daughters



I have said before that women protect virtue.  They do.  And they also inspire it.  Raising a daughter is an important task because it brings this reality to life.  Traditional women hold the standard of decency, femininity, and chivalry- all things that are missing in today's society.


My daughter, Beatrice

Ever since I found out less than a year ago that my baby was a girl, I thought about how I would raise her.  I want my daughter to be a lady, a lady with high standards.  What are some things I plan to teach her in order to form this lady I hope she becomes?

-First, modesty.  My baby girl is 5 1/2 months old and she already wears mostly skirts.  Of course this is not absolutely necessary for a baby!  But I want her to learn how to dress like a lady.  And as centuries of virtuous women have taught us, ladies do not wear tight clothes, short skirts, low necklines, sleeveless tops, or pants!  Dress protects and grows the soul.  I will try as hard as I can to instill in my daughter this great ladylike quality: modesty!

-Secondly, elegance!  I want my girl to be classy with an aura of refinement and elegance!  Elegance is the result of Christian civilization and women especially can influence elegance in manner, dress, and deportment.  There are so many little things that girls can learn such as carrying a handkerchief and learning how to curtsy!

-Thirdly, courtesy!  I plan to teach my little girl to accept the help of gentlemen.  I want her to appreciate chivalry in all its finery of virtue.  I want her to let men open doors for her and desire men to fight for her.  Real ladies inspire chivalry and I want my daughter to learn how!  Hopefully this will help her in a future courtship!  A lady should also know the difference between a gentleman and crass attention.  So many women today draw attention from cheap men and then actually appreciate it when they are insulted!  Girls should be taught to avoid such situations by the way they dress and behave and the company they keep.

I have so many ideas about what little girls should be taught!  Let me know what you think in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. And it will also teach little Tom how to behave towards ladies! I love how Sly already recognizes differences between the roles of men and women, without ever having been taught explicitly (such as remarking that Mommy and Stella wear dresses, and him and Daddy wear skirts; or telling me when I couldn't lift something that I needed a "big strong man. Daddy can do it." lol!) I hope in the future, our little girls can inspire each other towards ladylike virtue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful to read! I definitely plan to teach my daughter (she is 10 months old) the same...
    I have wanted to read a book about St. Therese's mother. It is called "The Mother of the Little Flower" Zelie Martin, for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...