Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Weight of One Holy Mass

 
Here is a beautiful story:
 
"The following true story was related to Sister  Mary Veronica Murphy by an elderly Nun, who heard it from the lips of the late Reverend Father Stanislaus, SS.CC.
...One day, many years ago, in a little town in Luxembourg, a Captain of
 the Forest Guards was in deep conversation with the butcher, when an elderly woman entered the shop. The butcher broke off the conversation to ask the old woman what she wanted.
 
She had come to beg for a little meat but had no money. The Captain was amused at the conversation which ensued between the poor woman and the butcher.
 "Only a little meat . . ."

 "But how much are you going to give me?"

 "I am sorry I have no money, but I'll hear Mass for you."
 Both the butcher and the Captain were very good men, but very indifferent about religion, so they at once began to scoff at the old woman's answer.

"All right, then," said the butcher. "You go out and hear Mass for me, and when you come back, I'll give you as much meat as the Mass is worth."
 The woman left the shop and returned later. She approached the counter and the butcher seeing her, said, "All right, then, we'll see,"
 He took a slip of paper and wrote on it, "I heard a Mass for you."

He then placed the paper on the scale and a tiney bone on the other side, but the paper was showing as being heavier than the bone... Next he placed a piece of meat instead of the bone, but still the paper proved heavier.

 Both men were beginning to feel ashamed of their mockery but continued their game. A large piece of meat was placed on the scales but still the little piece paper held its own.

The butcher, exasperated, examined the scales, but found they were all right.
"What do you want, my good woman? Must I give you a whole leg of mutton?"
At this, he placed the leg of mutton on the balance, but the paper outweighed the meat. A larger piece of meat was put on, but again the
weight remained on the side of the paper.

This so impressed the butcher that he was converted, and promised to give the woman her daily ration of meat.
 As for the Captain, he left the shop a changed man, an ardent lover
of daily Holy Mass. Two of his sons became Priests, one a Jesuit and the other a Father of the Sacred Heart.
 Father Stanislaus finished by saying,  "I am
the religious of the Sacred Heart, and the Captain was my father."

 From that incident the Captain became a daily Mass goer and his children were trained to follow his example. Later, when his sons became Priests,he advised them to offer Holy Mass well every day and never miss the Sacrifice through any fault of their own.

CREDIDIMUS CARITATIS- Let us never forget the end of our Faith and the Holy Mass: CHARITY in the truth and the truth in charity..."
________________________________________


A Very Powerful Daily Offering of the Mass Prayer
 
My God, I offer this action of mine, and every action of my whole life, in union with the Precious Blood in all the Masses this hour being offered all over the world, or that will-be offered for all time – to Thine own everlasting praise and glory - to Thine infinite rejoicing and delight.
To the glory of the Sacred Heart and in thanksgiving for all the graces bestowed on the Sacred Humanity of Our Lord Jesus Christ - I offer Thee the Precious Blood O My God!
To the honour of Our Blessed Lady, and in thanksgiving for the graces bestowed on Her, especially in Her Immaculate Conception, Divine Maternity, and Glorious Assumption, I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!
In honour of St. Joseph, my Angel Guardian, my Patron Saint and all the Saints, St. Michael, and all the nine choirs of angels - I offer Thee Precious Blood, O my God!
For all interest of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament - I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!
For the conversion of sinners, the prevention of sin, help for those in their last or those who die today - I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!
For special graces for all whom I love, for friends and relatives, for all who have asked my prayers or whom I have promised to pray for, or who have any claim on my prayers     I offer Thee the Precious blood, O My Cod!
For all whom I have injured or disedified -I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!
For the souls in Purgatory, especially my own relatives and friends, all who I have promised to pray for, all whom I have been asked to pray for, or who want my prayers – I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!
For my enemies, for all who have unkind hearts for me, I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!
For all my intentions and wants, spiritual and temporal-I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!
In atonement for my sins, for the sins of the whole world, for all the wants of Holy Church - I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O My God!

4 comments:

  1. There is a lovely children's book that is loosely based on this story-- The Weight of a Mass I believe it is called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The church in the picture is St. John Cantius in Chicago, Illinois. Two of their priests, Father Rice and Father Scott Haynes, just helped our cathedral, St. Peter's in Jackson, Mississippi, to learn how to train for the Extraordinary Form. It was the first time a Solemn High Mass had been said in that building for almost fifty years! Amazing how some things come full circle. ;P

    God Bless!
    Andrew Morgan '15

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful story!! Thank you for sharing! I always enjoy your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful story!! Thank you for sharing! I always enjoy your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...