Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

On Low Necklines

 


'Beyond fashion and its demands, there are higher and more pressing laws, principles superior to fashion, and unchangeable, which under no circumstances can be sacrificed to the whim of pleasure or fancy, and before which must bow the fleeting omnipotence of fashion.  These principles have been proclaimed by God, by the Church, by the Saints, by reason, by Christian morality.' -Pope Pius XII 


It is so easy to fall into the temptation of wanting to be popular.  I do it often.

Why is it so tempting to want to be like our friends?  Why do we have this innate desire to conform to those around us?

One of the most dangerous places for me is around popular fashion.  I love fashion!  I love clothes and shoes, hairstyling and hats, jewelry and purses.  I think that many women do.  And of course this is not wrong in itself, but it is dangerous.

For we will be judged by God on our last day on every one of our thoughts, words and actions.  And regarding immodesty in dress, I think most women will be found more than a little guilty.

Low necklines are probably the number one danger for me.  I have gotten used to wearing long skirts so that anything shorter than a little above my ankles makes me feel awkward, but necklines are something I don't notice as much.  My husband often has to point out to me that my shirt is a little bit low.  (God bless him!)

The old rule that I was taught from a child is that, 'A dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat; which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows; and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees. Furthermore, dresses of transparent materials are improper.'  (The Cardinal Vicar of Pope Pius XI)

Believe me when I say it is difficult to find any shirt whatsoever that is two fingers breadth below the pit of the throat- let alone a dress with a neckline and hemline that both comply!  I really think necklines are getting lower each season.  Formally respectable ladies who I know now appear showing a scandalous amount of cleavage.  Perhaps they cannot help what the stores are selling; but they certainly can help what they are wearing.  After all, the shirts I've seen in the store are deliberately missing the top button, and what is even worse, now it is impossible to pin up the top anymore since the shirts are designed in a v neckline into the collar.  Immodesty is after all a plot.  Perhaps the designer is not the only one behind it, but she is a tool in the hands of the Revolution of immodesty.

Something must be done about low necklines.

The Catholic Lady does not compromise her modesty when it comes to clothes.  She devises ways to combat the immodest fashions.  She will wear a camisole underneath her blouse or pin up a shirt that is missing a button or wear a cardigan over a short sleeve.  I have even seen a friend wear a skirt beneath a dress to lengthen it and it was quite unnoticeable to an untrained eye. :)

I am asking you to join this campaign against low necklines.  It can be done by complaining to retailers, warning others about this danger, and especially by wearing modest necklines oneself!


'It might be said that society speaks through the clothing it wears. Through its clothing it reveals its secret aspirations and uses it, at least in part, to build or destroy its future."  -Pope Pius XII

2 comments:

  1. Low necklines and the tight fitting of most shirts are the reason why I only wear blouses with collars and why I started sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you. What is need is for a big name clothing manufacturer to start making modest clothing. The others I think will follow to a degree because I think it is what many women want I always dream I am going to be able to find some fabric to make clothes. The patterns are there, but the fabric in the big name fabric store where we live is not. Any pretty fabric I find available today is good only for quilting and crafts. Its too stiff to wear as clothing. What they market as apparel fabric is often in my opinion very ugly, clingy or just poor quality. Thanks for your insights and inspriration. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...