Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Don't Give In

 
 
 
The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation,
And it looks like I’m the queen.

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn’t keep it in, heaven knows I tried

Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can’t hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door

I don’t care
What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway

It’s funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can’t get to me at all

It’s time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You’ll never see me cry

Here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I’m never going back,
The past is in the past

Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone

Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway

I hope you are scandalized.

You probably realized those are the lyrics from the popular song Let It Go from Disney's new movie, Frozen.  Did you read them through?

Think about character, the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual, particularly a Catholic Lady.  Even basic civilizations have LAW for that matter.  Doesn't it take effort to sustain these qualities?  Are you like me, always trying to tell yourself, "Don't Give In!"

And is that not the exact opposite message of, "Let It Go"?

I do not see myself as a radical, conservative, right winger.  But in my opinion, Let It Go, is a rebellious, revolutionary message that tells children to forget the rules and do whatever they want, giving into unbridled passions and annihilating restraint.

Isn't this the exact opposite of what we try to teach them as Catholic mothers?

Morality is all about NOT GIVING IN to temptation.  We are born with the effects of Original Sin which include a weakness of our will and an attraction to sin.  This whole life is about struggling through this valley of tears in order to one day inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.  So, the last thing we ever want to tell ourselves is to, Let it Go!

Disney just dismissed any remaining fragment of Christian principle with this song and replaced it with blatant anarchy.

Get ready for a rising generation of indulgent, lazy slobs devoid of character, whose only coherent object is the destruction of civilization... Unless we as Catholic mothers decide to oppose this.

8 comments:

  1. I don't really think the problem is the song itself... its the movie in general. If you put this song in context, it is when Elsa goes off course and becomes a "villain" for a good part of the movie. So, in that sense it is a song sung by a "bad guy"--which you'll find in a lot of musicals and movies. If you want to get that picky, you'd have to throw out a *lot* of songs from a lot of shows. Also, Elsa later gives up this attitude to go back to her kingdom and try to learn to control her powers.

    That said, the movie *really* blurs the lines between good/evil--which is one thing for adult shows/movies/literature, but I think should not be done so much in children's media!-- and I think that is where the problem is. To little girls, Elsa is good again at the end of the movie, so she must be good, so this song is good. Disney has also made this song really showy and catchy, and Elsa doesn't look like a villain at all, so a lot of people miss the fact that this song is bad. Its basically a villain's song disguised as a princess' song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Thank you! I think it is necessary to be picky. Also, I am writing about the song, not the movie. :)

      Delete
  2. I read on your Facebook page that you've not even seen the movie. That's doesn't make me want to listen to anything you have to say since you're basically plagiarizing everybody else's opinion. If you are endeavoring to show folks the what's what and who's who is society today, take a leap and watch/read/listen to whatever it is you are going to blog about. Besides, it's Disney. You get what you ask for when you press the play button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I am writing about the song- not the movie- which I have listened to! It is being played at weddings- out of context! :)

      Delete
  3. I knew that I didn't like this song for a reason. My 20 yr old thinks it's great, but I don't think she has really thought about the words...at least I hope that is part of it. I gave up on Disney a while back. I am saddened that something that I enjoyed so much growing up can't be shared with my children. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I never thought about it that way but I do agree with you. I have been trying to instill in my kids now that people will tempt you and you don't have to give in. You can be your own person. The person God wants you to be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...