Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Fly Lady Says, "Get Dressed to Shoes!"

"Dear Friends,
Since starting this group, I have continually harped on putting your shoes on your feet each morning. I want you to do this and you are not the exception to the rule. Here is why. Several years ago I worked for a direct sales cosmetics company. One main rule for that company was that you could not make a single phone call in the morning unless you were totally dressed, and I mean really dressed! All the way to dress shoes. The reason behind this duty was that you act different when you have clothes and shoes on. You are more professional. The customer can tell when you don’t feel good about the way you look. Even when you think you do. So if getting dressed makes that big of an impression on someone that can’t even see you, then what is going to happen to those that can see you. Mainly yourself. Putting shoes on your feet that lace up are better than slip-ons or sandals, because they are harder to take off. Instead of kicking your shoes off for a quick snooze on the couch, you actually have to go to a bit more trouble. Maybe in that short instant you will realize that there is something more that you can do. With shoes on those feet of yours, your mind says “OK”, it’s time to go to work. You have no excuse for not taking the trash out or putting that box of give-away stuff into the car. You are literally ready for anything. Believe me, when you get that call from school that your child needs you, or that dear friend calls up and says that she needs to talk “can we have lunch?” you are ready! Including shoes..."

Continue reading here:
http://www.flylady.net/d/habits-of-the-month/march/

5 comments:

  1. heh. I agree with you in theory. And this is why I believe in getting fully dressed - as if I was leaving the house -even on days when I have no plans to leave the house. I fix my hair and makeup every morning, even knowing that no one is likely to see me besides my kids. It definitely helps me to feel more motivated to get up and do things during the day, instead of just relaxing. BUT I still don't go so far as the shoes. Barefeet in the summer, and slippers in the winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm sure you do your best, Christine! I was not thinking about you when I posted this; but I do remember you saying how you didn't wear shoes!! I think that it makes a difference when you have air conditioning.

      Delete
  2. I also agree with this, but it is hard for me to put into practice! I do always have house shoes or sandals, but sometimes have bare feet. My husband wears socks in the house, and it kind of bothers me because I think men in the family especially should wear shoes for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. It just makes life easier. I never feel quite right in bare feet, yet it is too hard to walk on laminate/hardwood floors in socks or tights. I try to find a couple pairs of neutral flats that I only wear in the house. Unfortunately, sometimes I forget and run out into the yard or driveway in my house shoes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No shoes for me. Shoes carry dirt and germs. Think of where you shoes travel everyday. Then imagine your babies on the same floor where phil just walked. Nope, no shoes her :-). Feels unnatural to me to wear shoes around the house.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...