Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Message from a Reader

Below is a short article written by one of our readers!  I was so excited when she sent it to me!
 
 
It is eight o’clock in the morning and I’m sitting in a classroom with forty-some other students at a public university. Glancing around, it is easy to spot many extremes of dressing. There are students who have just rolled out of bed, still yawning and wearing their pajamas. There are other students wearing low cut tops and skin tight jeans. Others fall somewhere in the middle of this spectrum. T-shirts, jeans, and sweatpants are a common sight on my university’s campus, however.
It is very hard sometimes, to be surrounded by this modern day environment while still upholding my ladylike standards. Often, I feel overdressed even in a causal skirt and nicer looking top. If it’s cold outside, I wear a warmer skirt and nice sweater rather than a causal pullover hoodie like the rest of my classmates.
A college campus is not the only place you will find people dressed properly. You will find this just by looking around you as you go about your day to day life. Our society has become so accustomed to the causal T-shirt and jeans that if you even so much as put effort into dressing you are questioned or looked down upon. People don’t put much thought into what they wear anymore. The young women I have met at my college campus do not seem to care how they dress and put no thought into dressing with dignity!
If there is one place that every woman should dress as a lady, that is at Mass. Some friends of mine recently wore pants to daily Mass because it was a weekday and they did not want to look too dressed up. However, at Mass it is important to show respect towards our Lord in the way we dress because He is truly present in the Eucharist!
Why does it matter to live as a lady? It would be so much easier to follow the crowd and fit in with everyone else and is something I have struggled with especially here at college. The world and our society wants us to think that no one cares how you dress and that skirts are outdated. We must not compromise our ladylike standards, especially in today’s society!
Although it is hard to dress modestly and like a Catholic lady in today’s society, especially on a college campus, I continue to do so even when others are following the crowd. Why? I do not want to compromise my standards just to fit in with the rest of the world. I am a Catholic lady and one way I can portray this is by my feminine and modest way of dress.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...