Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Dresses are Too Short!

A good woman must think about her clothes and dress for principle, not popularity!


I love to shop, especially for clothes, as most of you have probably realized.  It's hard for me in the Spring when I enter the dresses section of a department store and admire the rows of pastel printed frocks!

Until I take one off the rack and hold it up.

Way too short.

I'm not trying to sound prissy, like my standards are better than everyone else's.  I think many other women out there agree.  We want dresses a bit longer.  They just don't exist.

I go through the racks keeping my eyes hopefully on the hemlines.  Nothing.  They are all so short!  Occasionally I find one slightly longer and pick it up.  But when I try it on later I am even more disappointed.  Now I don't consider myself that tall at 5' 6", pretty average height I thought, until I look at those dresses and fruitlessly hope to find one that is decent.  I just want it to cover my knees, maybe a few inches past.  Is that too much to ask?

Those pretty floral prints and pastel colors, beautiful a-lines and feminine laces (sleeveless dresses are another issue, but at least I could easily fix that with a cardigan), they are all useless to me and any other woman desiring to look decent at Easter Sunday Mass or a wedding or any other event this year.  It is so disappointing!

Someone might ask, "Why do you care about a short dress so much when all the rest of the world accepts it?"  I do care!  Just because social standards are slipping, doesn't mean I let mine go too!

There is a lesson to learn here that is important.  It would be easy to let it go and wear a dress that is almost long enough.  Goodness knows, no one would notice with what other women are wearing today and I would soon forget my compromise of principle.  But one thing would lead to another.  I know it.  Deep down I know that temptation only leads to more temptation and standing up for principle pays out in the end.

Here is a quote from the Vatican in 1930:

"A dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat; which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows; and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees.  Furthermore, dresses of transparent materials are improper."  The Cardinal Vicar of Pope Pius XI

4 comments:

  1. I totally identify with you on this! It is so hard to find modest hemlines!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! I do a lot of sewing and even the patterns have short hemlines. I always find myself having to lengthen skirts or dresses that I make. Little girls dresses are also very short. I think a skirt or dress should at least come to the knees and I won't compromise for anything less than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding little girl dresses and skirts with modest hemlines is the worst! I find myself having to buy my daughter a size larger just for an appropriate hemline, and then they are often to0 large in the waist (especially since she's already tall for her age, and skinny for her height).

      And last Spring I had to go to ever store in town before I could find a shirt that had sleeves that wasn't a t-shirt. Every single shirt and dress more formal than a t-shirt was sleeveless-- for little girls, in early Spring in the Midwest! I was horrified!

      And I've almost given up finding modest clothing for myself.

      Delete
  3. I have the same problem: I see a lot of beautiful feminine dresses and then I try them on and... Too short! I also have a question for you: I've seen a lot of bloggers quote the standards of dress that you wrote at the end of the post, and I really want to read the entire document, but I can't find it. There is no trace of it in the Vatican's website. I also tried to find it in the original language, Italian (I suppose that it was originally written in Italian and then translated, but I'm not sure), but I couldn't find it, it is not even mentioned. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...