Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tips for Being Modest and Elegant

I did a post a little while ago on Tips for Being Modest AND Elegant which was well received so I decided to do another!  Here's a few more things I've learned over the years for being modest AND elegant:

1. Look beyond clothes when you go to spruce up your ladylike image.  Manners are very important when it comes to elegance and something the Catholic Lady cannot do without.  They are just as important as appearance in the apostolate of femininity.  Try reading books, studying courses or even watching vintage movies to provide inspiration and instruction in the art of good manners!

TIP: The best way to ensure you manners are without reproach is to imbibe true Christian charity into your soul.


2. Establish fashion standards.  Know how far your hemline and neckline will go before you stop.  This is very important to establish before you see  a dress you love and that is likely to influence and compromise your standards.

TIP: Do some research on Catholic modesty standards and women's fashion progression throughout the centuries.


3. Dress to Impress...GOD.  I know this sounds simple, but it is the subtle key to elegance.  A true Catholic lady has real confidence.  There is a big difference between worldly confidence and virtuous confidence and when good people notice this in your behavior they will marvel and respect it.

TIP: Try not to constantly imagine what others think of you!  Be yourself and learn to love it!



4. Buy some things new.  I know many women like to shop thrift and consignment stores and there's nothing wrong with that.  I have scored many beautiful pieces this way!  But I've learned that it's a good idea to buy new once in awhile, especially when it comes to staples like that coat, bag or shoes that you just couldn't do without.

TIP: Look for clearance racks and sales at department stores!



 
5. Understand accessories.  This is a very great step in elegant dress and something that I have not yet mastered.  But I admire those who have.  Gloves, hats, scarves, bags, jewelry, hairstyles, even shoes can be used to add that elegant touch you need or dress your outfit up or down.   Try it!  It's a lot of fun!

TIP: I think experimentation is the key here!  Practice makes perfect!



6. Often simplicity is the key.  I know I just finished writing about accessorizing, but it is very important to remember to balance simplicity.  Do not overdress for fear of becoming gaudy and unattractive.  I personally do not like to mix patterns and I like to have an overall color dominating an ensemble.

TIP: Always look in the mirror to make sure the colors, patterns and materials do not clash or overpower one another.



7. Relax!  Attitude is very important when it comes to modesty and elegance!  Granted, the over studied and annoyingly prim lady is rare today, but it's still a danger.  Do not be artificial in your manners or proud in your spirit!  Avoid conversations of spiritual pride.  Yes we want to inspire others; and no we don't want to condemn them!  This is something I struggle with and it is a delicate balance to maintain.

TIP: Contemplate the difference between charity and compromise.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for all your encouraging posts! I found this one particularly helpful as I am currently trying to grow more elegant...it's hard to be a lady nowadays. God bless you and your family! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all your encouraging posts! I found this one particularly helpful as I am currently trying to grow more elegant...it's hard to be a lady nowadays. God bless you and your family! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I'm glad you like it! You are so encouraging to me!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post. I will be sharing this with my daughter.
    I find that I feel more lady like when I am wearing a longer skirt that is an A line shape or full skirt. I feel SO frumpy when I wear a long jean skirt. My husband thinks that if I wear a long straight jean skirt I may as well be wearing jeans! He does not see them a feminine at all.
    With that being said I am thinking if trying out some pheasant/boho styled skirts. Any advice or thoughts on that? I don't know what type of shirt to pair those skirts with or what type of shoes will work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! For the peasant style skirt I would definitely suggest a more fitted, neutral colored tee to balance the full, probably colorful skirt, although of course not too tight! Maybe put a simple cardigan of the same color on top for modesty? I think pretty flat sandals would be nice with that type of outfit too!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your post! I am always encouraged by them. :) These are all really great tips and even though it is hard to be an elegant lady today, it is very possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Colette! Your post is REALLY inspiring even though I am not a Catholic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...