Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Women Who Work



The mother has tremendous influence when she creates
an ambiance of good principles and family values!
(Painting by John Walters)
The family is the foundation of society.  Yet many people are not at home!  They are out trying to make a difference in the world, forgetting the power of the hand that rocks the cradle.

The socially destructive results of this individualistic, fast paced mentality are endless.  But certainly the greatest problems arise within the home: Who will do the housework?  Who will care for the babies?  Who will educate the children?  Who will cook the dinner?  Who will create an ambiance of warmth, comfort and love in the extra touches?  Who will have time to celebrate the special occasions like birthdays and feast days in a homemade way?

Is it possible that these things are not getting done?  Or at least, not being prioritized?  Is the tremendous vocation of motherhood going out of fashion?

There is no place for such a very Christian role as mother in a society that does not value Christianity.  Marriage, the pillar of family life is under tremendous assault.  It is marketed as a series of romantic good times where it is possible to take lots of pictures to be liked on social media.  This is not real life!  This dangerously superficial attitude destroys families and also takes away from the dignity of the respective work of mother and father.  Deprived of healthy families, many turn to online meetups to find a social life.  Local biking, jogging, workout, crafting, even dating groups are formed in this way.  This type of artificial meeting may be temporarily enjoyable.  But the bond of friendship includes good times AND bad times which is hard to accept for those who only signed up for the good.  After all, there is no greater love than sacrifice which is at the center of every successful family.  It is not until we put Heaven at the end of our quest for happiness that we will be content on earth.  And divine providence will step in to shape our lives.

Today's families must make an intentional investment in quality time spent together- an old-fashioned tonic for the soul.  Turn off all the electronics and bring out the conversation, stories and games!  The mother especially has tremendous influence when she creates an ambiance of good principles and family values.

It must be realized that some mothers encounter unimaginable sufferings in their vocation.  And possibly this is why they go away and get a job or are often out of the house.  Does it help to recall that the greater the difficulty, the greater the grace that is right there to assist you?  A wise mother once told me that when God sends what seems like unbearable suffering it is a call to come very close to Him, but the sad thing is that many of us turn away from God at these times and fall hard.  The merit of sacrifice is after all impossible without grace. 

I realized recently that the happier I am at home, the less I feel a need do online networks or go out places just to socialize.  Instead, most of our friends we just see during the course of our regular routine.  This might not be true for everyone.  I come from a large family and also have many supporting friends around me.   But my friend who is also a mother was the first to notice this and many others agree.


WHAT DO YOU THINK??

7 comments:

  1. I have been in both positions. I was in a bad marriage when my oldest was born and was the primary breadwinner. When we divorced, I was a single parent. By the time I remarried (I was able to receive an annulment), I continued to work since I had done so all along. At 41, I had my second child and stayed home. I think I was a much better mother to my youngest. Once she went to school, I worked part time for my church. Now she is away at college (ten hours away), so I work as a substitute teacher in my local high school. It is definitely difficult to put family and home as priorities when out in the workplace. I highly recommend mothers stay home to be there for the family it at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing what you know from experience. I can't imagine how hard it is to work outside the home while having young children!

      Delete
    2. As a single woman, working outside the home is a necessary evil. I have noticed when I am working full time, I have much less motivation to complete housework during the work week. I can't imagine myself with children working outside of the home/farm either. What would I get done? I'd want to hide in my room and recharge - preferably till the next morning!

      Delete
  2. That painting is not Norman Rockwell. It's John Walters. It's signed at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I will correct it.

      Delete
  3. I work during the weekend and am at home during the week. This has been a good balance for our family because it allows me to contribute and for us to do things we otherwise couldn't (like own our own home) while still being a mostly stay-at-home mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good solution. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...